Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Parades 1930s-1940s

Dear Friend,

First and foremost, Happy Thanksgiving. I'm sure there is so much for each and everyone to be thankful for. I'm most thankful for the Lord's guidance, my family and friends, and the basic necessities of life. For many years the tradition has been to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on television. I have compiled a few vintage day parades for each one of you. All of these videos are courtesy of "YouTube." The first is from 1935, the second is 1939, and the third is 1940, and the last is 1941. I hope you enjoy this step back in time. Don't forget to count your blessings on such a day as this.

"Reflect upon your present blessing, of which every man has many--not on your past misfortunes, which all men have some." ~Charles Dickens


"O Lord, who lends me life, lend me a heart replete with thankfullness." ~William Shakespeare



"Without Thy sunshine and Thy rain
We could not have the golden grain;
Without Thy love we'd not be fed;
We thank Thee for our daily bread." ~Anonymous



"Forever on Thanksgiving Day, the heart will find the pathway home." ~ Wilbur D. Nesbit


"But see, in our open clearings, how golden the melons lie; Enrich them with sweets and spices, and give us the pumpkin pie!" ~ Margaret Junkin Preston

I hope everyone enjoys the short videos from Thanksgivings long ago. Happy Thanksgiving to each of you.

~Mrs. Homemaker

** quotes taken from theholidayspot.com **

No comments: